|Posted by moodhacker on March 31, 2017 at 8:00 AM|
The National University of Athens and the Zagoria Excellence Network presented the launch of “Sense Zagori Project”, a project that concerns the promotion and development of Zagori and the wider region.
“Sense Zagori Project” aims to the total restart of the area and the local sustainable development through modern tools that seek:
– the interconnection with the world wide web
– the upgrade of the services offered
– the increase of visitors
The project will be implemented in two phases and includes a series of acts to render the village friendlier to the visitor. It is estimated that the “Sense Zagori Project” will increase visitors by 10 percent annually for the first five years while boosting employment and supporting youth employment.
Zagori is known to the world over for its longer and shorter treks and river runs of various difficulty levels – but this is just the beginning: there’s horseback riding, archery and mountain bikes. There’s paragliding, exploring with 4X4s and canyoning. There’s skiing, snowboarding and bird watching.
Numerous local and traditional paths, used by the people of Zagori for centuries, shady evergreen forests and rich deciduous ones; mellow meadows in full spring bloom; canyons and ridges; adventurous trails and old traditional intravillage paths; rare, indigenous flora and rich fauna; the famous Vradeto “skala” and the even more famous Zagorian stone bridges are some of the Zagori attractions, while the best lies off the asphalt roads, among the picturesque villages.
Whether you are a seasoned trekker or a casual nature walker, in Zagori you will find countless trails to walk, from 45 minute long walks through brook valleys to 12 hour long hikes up the mountains to the alpine lakes. The European Long Distance Path E6 crosses through Epirus, going from west to east.
Rafting and Kayaking and Kanyoning
Voidomatis, the cleanest river in Europe, along with the mighty Aoos and the multi – faced Arachthos and tens of rafting routes attract rafters and kayaking fans, but also newcomers to these sports.
With the deepest gorge in the world, the gorge of Vikos, canyoning pupms andrenaline to the high with multiple unexpexted surprises
ZEN, the Zagori Excellence Network
Born out of a need to feature the best Zagori and the surrounding areas have to offer to the visitor, ZEN (the Zagori Excellence Network) is an initiative by a group of outstanding tourism, catering and activities businesses of this majestic region of Epirus, Greece. Aiming to stimulate excellence in the services provided, as well as to promote Zagori as a destination all year round, ZEN is a collaborative, private effort whose goals include:
- The effective promotion of Zagori and its surrounding areas to the world markets through the creation of a strong, identifiable brand - one that successfully communicates the region’s many unique characteristics - and a dynamic, 360 communication program.
- The protection of the region’s environment, biodiversity, human geography and traditional economic activities and ways of life, through systematic preservation efforts, digitization of records, the promotion of sustainable practices and well balanced economic growth initiatives.
- The promotion of quality and excellence in the services provided to visitors by its members, and by other businesses of the region, as a means to enhance the travel experience of its visitors.